The richest men in the world have managed to increase their fortune in the last year and also added a number to it. According to the Forbes ranking, no less than 1.426 business men own at least a $1 billion fortune. We invite you to discover who the wealthiest men in the world are, what businesses they run and what events keep them in the worldwide elite.
1. Carlos Slim Helu
He is from Mexico, owns a $73 billion fortune and runs a business in the telecommunications field. The telecom mogul remains on the first place in the ranking, with a fortune with $4 billion bigger than last year, but with $1 billion under his absolute record. In the last year, Carlos Slim invested in football, buying the Mexican clubs Pachuca and Leon, and also the Spanish team Real Oviedo.
2. Bill Gates
The business man is from United States, owns Microsoft and is the happy owner of $67 billion. Bill Gates’s fortune has grown with $6 billion from March last year until now, because of the good results registered by his investment portfolio. Among the performing companies there are: Ecolab, Republic Services and FEMSA.
3. Amancio Ortega is from Spain, activates in the fashion retail and owns a $57 billion fortune. Ortega is the name of the performer of the year because he managed to increase his fortune with $19.5 billion, outpacing Warren Buffet in the billionaires ranking. Even though he’s no more the president of the Inditex group, he owns “only” 60% of shares. The company reported an increase in the value of shares of over 50%. Inditex operates 5.900 stores in 86 countries.
4. Warren Buffet is from USA, owns Berkshire Hathaway and is the happy owner of $53.5 billion. Although Buffet is the second performer of the year, increasing his wealth with $9 billion, he lost one position in the billionaires ranking. It’s the first time in 13 years when Warren Buffet misses out the podium of the wealthiest people in the world.
5. Larry Ellison
Ellison is from USA, activates in the software business and owns a $43 billion fortune. He’s the 5th richest man in the world are has a wealth with $7 billion bigger than last year, because lately the Oracle shares have grown by 20%. He bought last year various properties in Malibu and also 98% from the Hawaiian island Lanai from David Murdoch for $500 million. He also purchased the Hawaiian Airline Island Air.
6. Charles Koch
This billionaire is an American who activates in various industries (Koch Industries) and managed to win over the time $34 billion. Charles owns with his brother David, 84% of Koch Industries, the biggest private company in the US, with total revenues of $115 billion last year. The American giant runs businesses in the chemical and the refining field, enjoying the positive financial result due to the price fall of natural gas.
7. David Koch is the brother of Charles Koch, and he also owns a $34 billion fortune, being the wealthiest citizen of New York. He coordinates the business in the chemical technology developed by Koch Industries. If his wealth has grown by $9 billion last year, on the political side things did not go so well, so his attempt to replace Barrack Obama to presidency failed.
8. Li Ka-shing
This billionaire is from Hong Kong, activates in different industries and gathered a $31 billion fortune. He’s the richest Asian man in the world and the only billionaire in this region who owns a place in the top 20. His wealth grew by $5.5 billion due to his companies’ shares appreciation, and also because in 2012 he collected dividends worth $860 million.
9. Liliane Bettencourt and family
They own L’Oreal, a business that brought them $30 billion so far. Liliane Bettencourt is a French woman of 90 years old who is the richest woman in the world. Her business rose last year by over 30%, so her personal fortune grew with $6 billion. Her daughter Francoise Bettencourt-Meyers runs the family business, while her grandson, Jen-Victor Meyers, leads the cosmetic company’s board.
10. Bernard Arnault is a French businessman who activated in fashion retail (LVMH) and has a $29 billion fortune. Arnauld is the most influent man on the globe, who controls brands like Louis Vuitton or Bvlgari. He went down from the 4th place to 10th because there was revealed information about the holding that he controls.