Many Icelandic villages host houses roofed with turf, because people wanted to protect themselves and their livestock from the harsh climate. The Hofskirkja Church is one of these buildings and is located in Hof, in Öræfi, approximately 20 kilometers south of the Skaftafell National Park.
Hofskirkja Church was the last turf church built in the old architectural style. It was constructed in 1884 in the honor of saint Clement. It is one of the six churches in Iceland that are still standing and are preserved as historical monuments.
Starting with the 20th century the situation changed dramatically and fewer and fewer turf-houses were being built, and today only a few craftsmen practice the trade.